May be even..
- Duchamp the gap between art and non-art
- Surrealism the gap between reality and unreality
- Pollock gap between the easel and mural
- Minimalist the gap between painting and sculpture
- Pop art the gap between avant-garde and kitsch
- DaDa the gap between artist and non-artist
Picasso the gap between realism and abstraction.
That is a bit far fetched but it is the basis of in an interesting essay.......
On the other hand the concept does seem a useful starting pointing trying to understand and position the artist or the movement. Equally it could be basis for some new art forms how about…….
the gap between to the performance and painting
the gap between minimalist art and conceptual art
the gap between body art and land art (!)
Wood, P ed., (2004) Varieties of Modernisms , New Haven and London, Yale University Press